Barbados has now recorded a total of five positive tests for the coronavirus (covid-19) after three more people are confirmed with the virus, one a man on a cruise ship who never set foot in Barbados.
Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley made the announcement during a news conference at Ilaro Court, disclosing that the new cases are the husband of the female visitor that tested positive earlier this week, a Barbadian man who arrived from the USA at the weekend and a person on a cruise ship.
Ms. Mottley says there’s now a significant amount of contact tracing still going on especially in relation to the Barbadian who came in at the weekend.
Ms. Mottley also disclosed that Barbados has had requests from the cruise ships for four or five other tests.
The Prime Minister says she has given instructions that there is to be no shore leave for the crews of the cruise ships docked here.
And, Barbados authorities this morning informed Jet Blue and American airlines that from this coming Sunday anyone arriving from the US, UK or Europe will have to be quarantined for 14 days, but the airport remains open for now.
The authorities stress that Barbados remains at stage two of its pandemic response until there are confirmed cases of in-country person to person transmission.